During the replacement of slew bearing (unloader cranes), below inspections are crucial
- backlash (usually 0.3 to 0.4mm depending to the manufacturer) and
- tooth contact pattern/area.
Checking contact pattern/area shows how the bearing and pinion are engaging. Fine tuning adjustment is to be made based on the tooth pattern findings.
Inspect the tooth meshing pattern / area by
- applying Prussian Blue paste evenly to 2x facing teeth on slew gear &
- slewing in both CW & CCW directions to get imprinted profiles on pinions
Adjust slew drive position & orientation until
- Recommended backlash is achieved
- meshing lengths along both tooth width & tooth height directions are within the recommended range
- tooth contact area is approximately near the centre of gear tooth face